Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Got Whoppers?

Have you ever surprised yourself with your own whoppers*? You know - when you’ve gone ahead with the choice that is opposite of what you believe or what you were so sure about and discovered that it wasn’t at all like what you have believed? I’ve had a series of those whoppers in close succession this last week. Some are believes that I was so sure are “true”. Some are memories from bad experiences that somehow over time became my perceived truth. Others started out as good intentions based on practicality and logic which later morphed into unnecessary rules and restrictions. Regardless of what they are, what matters is what they have in common; they are limiting and a lot of the time I don’t even know they are there until I went looking.

More important than pushing boundaries I think is the frequent look into my own thinking to see what am I feeding my mind with regards to “what is possible”. It’s like the periodic spring cleaning we go through with our closet. There are things in there that we have forgotten were in there, and stuff that we don’t even remember how they got in there. Without periodic cleaning out, our closet would soon become a non-functioning one. Just like the closet, the accumulating of such limiting believes, rules and restrictions would turn our mind into a non-functioning one, holding us back from fully experiencing our lives. Besides, what might once be my truth may no longer be my truth because the me now is different from the me a month ago. I am constantly growing, so is my awareness, ever expanding. While I’m excited about pushing boundaries outwards like in jumping out of an airplane, I find it just as exhilarating when I discover a limiting belief and blowing it out of the water. So yeah, those few jolts I got from my whoppers also totally made my week!

* Whopper: a gross untruth. A big lie.

Had my first swedish massage. Very little soreness afterward. yet my back is more relaxed than ever. I thought the harder the pressure = the bigger the payoff? Whopper. Tried Sam's sundae at Bi-rite: chocolate ice-cream + sea salt + olive oil. My taste buds come alive with the layers of exquisite flavors. I thought ice-cream & olive oil = gross?! Whopper. Created my own breakfast sandwich at Specialty's: Ciabatta bread + mozzarella + tomato + basil. Enjoyed every bite of it and my bill? $2.17. I thought it costs more if I order outside of menu! Whopper. Experience my first shower-bath. Cramps gone, hair's clean, I was free floating in the tropical water of Maui & I was enjoying the forbidden pleasure of out in the pool during rain. I thought shampooing while soaking = smelly hair afterward?! Whopper. My laptop roller bag was so light I thought I left out the laptop. All I did is carry my book, water, snacks, wrap and purse in my hand bag and I was effortlessly rolling my laptop around. I thought it would be easy on my arms and back if I keep to having everything on 1 roller bag. Whopper. Just purchased a cell phone after 3 cell-phone-free years. LG 220C flip phone - $39.90, pre-paid plan of 1000 min - $30/month. I thought I had to trade high phone cost for the cuff of a 2-year contract to the service. I thought committing to a cell-phone = adding a ridiculously high monthly phone bill. I thought pre-paid plans = obscenely expensive per-min rate.
Whopper. Whopper. Whopper.

No comments: