Wednesday, April 28, 2010

No Buts

Have you ever been surprised by what you discover coming out of your mouth? I have. Many times. The more I pay attention to it the more I discover what I've been unconsciously doing that is self sabotaging and the sooner I could get myself out of my way. For example the word "but", such a simple 3 letter word that could make such subtle yet big difference. I find it is commonly used with excuses, justifications, obligations, rationalization and inauthenticity which all lead to keeping me away from being my true self. I also notice the word "but" is not found in the simple, direct language of my deeper truth. Whenever I catch myself thinking or saying "but", that's my queue to check if I am unconsciously making excuses, justifications, rationalization, if my actions have been unconsciously driven by obligations, if I have unconsciously been unauthentic in my communication. Like non-verbal communication and body language, the words we use whether in our communication with ourselves or with others, help shape us and our reality. I've come to understand the importance of choosing my words consciously.

No comments: